Some stuff on stuff

Matijs van Zuijlen Matijs.van.Zuijlen at XS4ALL.NL
Tue Apr 2 17:59:33 CEST 2002

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 08:23:19AM -0500, Choinski, Burton wrote:
> ||True.  Just seems like in all those movies the archers have the day
> ||won most times based on their sheer reloads.  What was it the
> ||Roman archers could load and reload a bow in 8.5 seconds according
> ||to old records?  Some history i read somewhere....those would likely
> ||be longbows...
>
> Hello!?  McFly!  8.5sec = 3 phases.  I have bowmen take only 1 phase to
> reload, and you complain, when real life has them take 2 phases? :}

So..

1) I can't seem to find anything about reload times for normal bows
(non-crossbows) in the books. Where is it?

2) Isn't it great that the Romans had these real accurate watches?
Seriously though, I'm wondering where those 8.5 seconds came from? Seems
rather slow to me. Or is that two loads (as in "load and reload a
bow...")? That would mean 1 phase per shot.

3) We use 1 phase per shot for normal bows. No reload phase needed.

--
Matijs