Crafting (and Wages)

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Tue Apr 2 05:20:51 CEST 2002

At 08:36 AM 4/1/02 -0500, you wrote:

>||That's cool.  If its based on something :)
>
>Well, the problem is that it's second or third derivatives...the above quote
>was from someone's GURPS rules for constructions, and I have no idea where
>his numbers come from.  On the surface it seems reasonable, although to my
>wimpy-computer-science bones it looks like a backbreaking pace that I would
>think would burn out the labor pool very quickly.

Same here...

>If anyone here (especially in the rural areas or internationally) knows
>people with real-hand experience that can be extrapolated, all the better.

>this
>could.
>||I forgot about the medieval 10 hour shift thing.  Was thinking in modern
>||times.
>||Good point.  Also with the ditch good point.  See when its explained
>||like that it makes more sense :)  Course you have to figure out substance.
>||Like Granit, hard rock, volcanic rock, plain sand..etc..
>
>Yea, although when you get to rock you leave the realm of excavating and
>into quarrying.  There may be some way to figure out a unified rule that can
>be used, with differing multipliers as the material gets harder.
>
>I think, as a rule of thumb, going from vertical to horizontal will cut the
>production rate in half, since you no longer have gravity to do some of the
>work.

True enough.

>Good
>||Does seem high.  I get pooped doing a pickup truck load of dirt :)
>||But I'm a programmer not a laborer :)
>
>I think this rate and weight only qualifies for getting it out of the
>hole...another set of labor is required to haul the excavated material
>offsite.

True.  Diversification.

>||I was reading that very article at work today among others...
>||Could you do a bit on nevy?  ie sailors for the mass combat conversions
>||and troop strength?  i could but not sure if you've done that already
>||or not...:)   Sailors...etc..
>
>That's probably a reasonable idea.  Since soldiers are figured as S & St,
>while scouts are figured as A & D, what do you think is best to base marines
>on?  St & A or S & A?

St and A since agility for sure having to sway on deck.  Stamina due to the
constant
routine of it in terms of daily routine and weather/storms.  Strength would
be next in terms of its daily activities but Stamina seems more oriented for
a sailor who has to be in it for the long haul.  If its just a marine who
doesn't
stay on ship then strength...if a carrerr sailor than St.

>And actually, I had revised the rules I had a bit (removed the multipliers
>for cavalry and archers, instead putting in an additive cost).  When I get
>the marines in I will re-post.

Great.

Can't wait for that ship info...err..slap...
sorry :)...nag nag ang..gessh

>I might as well put in an appendix based on the cultural notes I had
>before...some cultures have improved stats or combat abilities which would
>differ them from the "normal" units (i.e. In my cultural notes I give the
>Kazi a +2 OCV and DCV bonus, just because they are supposed to be so nasty.
>And being from the Kaz, they will probably be tweaked up a tad.)

True why Climans make great sailors but the Omahor make lousy sailors.