Two Weapons / Multiple Attack

Wout Broere broere at POWERSANDPERILS.ORG
Mon Apr 1 22:17:52 CEST 2002

At 07:47 PM 4/1/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>I have been fascinated by the idea of two weapons, but I find the rules way
>too powerful. We had an Assassin in our group that could dish out well over
>a hundred damage at her top assassin level and two attacks. I felt the
>imbalance was far too great so I've modified the rules to make it much more
>difficult to learn and use it effectively. Any suggestions on this rule or
>a two handed weapon multiple attacks?

We found that having to divide the EL in two-weapon fighting between the
two weapons and then limiting the effective EL in the weapon to either the
assigned TWF EL or the EL in the weapon used, would tune down the
effectiveness of this skill considerably. At low ELs maybe even to the
point it is hardly useful using it.

Example: Selina has EL5 in two-weapon fighting. She has EL1 in scimitar and
EL6 in dagger. She decides to fight offensively with two weapons, a
scimitar and a dagger. She assigns two points from TWF to her scimitar hand
and 3 to the dagger hand. As her scimitar skill is only 1, the effective EL
in scimitar is 1. The effective EL in the dagger is 3 as assigned.

(of course the example is for examples sake. Assigns 1 to scimitar and 4 to
dagger etc...)

>What about bow's? Didn't you love seeing Legolas shooting arrows like a
>gattling gun? I've made what I think is a great rule system for bow
>multiple attacks and I've spread a portion of that into 2 handed weapon
>multiple attacks. I think it will improve the desire of warriors to just
>use their missle weapons rather than melee all the time.
>One more thing. I don't enjoy the race modifiers. I think they are limited
>and don't create the right diffence beyween the four main character races.
>I use an advanced system that allows the DM to create a character out of
>any creature in the creature list(though I don't allow the use all of them.
>What this does for me is realy creates a beautiful racial difference.
>Perhaps any ideas would be helpful in making my system better. I'm not
>going to reveal the information here, but if you e-mail me perhaps I will
>explain it.
>Allow me lore.

Well, you are encouraged to post it here and get some discussion going.
After all, that is what this list is all about.

Ft

Wout Broere             broere at powersandperils.org
P&P Website:            http://www.powersandperils.org/  or
                         http://geo.citg.tudelft.nl/broere/pnp/