Some stuff on stuff

Wout Broere broere at POWERSANDPERILS.ORG
Mon Apr 1 11:02:26 CEST 2002

At 11:02 PM 3/31/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>       I was reading alot of stuff I didn't see or didn't read carefully
>     at first from the main P&P site.  Have some questions...
>     *  Simple Healing Chart
>        Noticed the web page for this had Army stuff at the
>        bottom is this intentional Wout?  Or just mixed info.

Got something mixed up indeed. Now copied that info to the Mass Combat
rule, just above the stirrup section. That is roughly where it fits in the
original mass combat article.

>     *  Is your character normal article
>        Was reading it today.  Anyone agree with it?

We are using the cultural variation from PL, but not the IYCN rules in the
strictest sense. Some aspects we have always used, such as you can't be a
forester if there isn't a tree to be found within 500 miles from your
homeland. But PC barbarians are already special  (or abnormal as Mike Olson
calls it) in the sense that they are clearly more adventurous than the main
population. The adherence to cultural weapons should not be that strict in
my opinion, or the bonuses you award a player that sticks to this IYCN list
should be somewhat larger than the 40 expertise suggested.

>     *  Attack priority - The chart showing weapon priority and
>        such anyone use this in a strict sense?

Yes, but that is because I have it all programmed into some excel sheet
that keeps track of battles for me. In that sense combat priority becomes a
way of keeping track where you were in this phase of a battle, and who is
to deal out the next blow. Large battles in tabletop games sometimes may
get confusing, with everyone trying to get the DM's attention at the same time.

As a slightly related question: does anyone use the rule that if several
persons hit an opponent in the phase that he is killed, they are all
awarded experience and expertise for the killing blow (Combat experience
section of Book I, page 54 in the v2/v3 PDF version. I don't have the
original books handy, so don't know the original ref.)

>     *  Priesthood
>        Anyone use priests real extensive yet?
I did. Played a Qadishtu Ma'Dama priestess for a Law religion, Fox. She was
a healer and somewhat of an exorcist. The Qadisthu Ma is one of the
stronger priest classes, but it turns out that you are very limited in
using magic against non-opposite forces. Most spells would only work
against Chaos, so when opposing Law, Balance or Elder she was more or less
restricted to a single spell.
  (Given that that single spell was Lightning and she had it at EL 8 at the
end, you can imagine her deadliness in battle.)
When opposing Chaos a rather nice list of spells becomes effective,
allowing for more special effects. The priest may not be as strong as your
average wizard, but can be more colorful.

Only thing is that the campaign was so high paced that I never got around
to the career advancement section of the rules. Would have been nice to
enter the arena of church politics and see her climbing the ranks. Don't
know yet how that part of the rules works out in play.

BTW, a law priestess can be quite annoying, especially when she
meticulously sticks to all the religous and church rules. I believe the
other players hated her more at times than the bullying and truly evil
traveling sales man of magic potions I once played (the Chaos Wizard known
as Dr. Zovaster).

Ft

Wout Broere             broere at powersandperils.org
P&P Website:            http://www.powersandperils.org/  or