pdfing the whole thing

g b father at RATBIKE.ORG
Tue Nov 27 14:21:50 CET 2001

Hello!

I first posted to this mailgroup two or three months ago that I am looking for the original P&P supplements by Avalon Hill. I have still not succeded in purchasing them.
But I succeded (more or less) in motivating my fellow gamers to take a look into the rules. They fell instantly in love with the awesome possibilies of the character generation, but they also abhorred the math-heavy (or better formula-heavy) complexety of the rules. Still, they are interested and would like to have a (xerox)copy for themselves.
Soo, what shall I do?
The first option is that I go down and photocopy the corerule boxed set. Although this may take an hour or two, it would be not too much work and is definitely sufficient for my interests.
The second option is to scan the books and put them together into a (or better several) pdf(s). This will take reasonably more time, blood, sweat and energy. But, I think it would be worth it. The pdfs can be reproduced much simpler than photocopies and anyone with access to a (laser-)printer can turn the files into real paper.
If anyone is willing to support me by doing the pdf-thing to the other Supplements (Book of Tables, Tower of the Dead, Perilous Lands and not forgetting any given copy of Heroes) there will be no doubts concerning my choice of action! If forces are split and and work is coordinated, this should be not too much work for an individual. As far as I know, there are no big foldout handouts like maps in the boxed sets, so that should not be the problem either.
Yes, obviously there is a selfish motivation behind my request, but I like to think that this is an easy way to preserve a great game!
Also, I want to emphasize here that I am a collector!
Even if there will be an electronic version available of the items I do not own I am still going to hunt them down for my collection.
Give it a thought.

Kind regards,
Guido Buchholz