wand/staff

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Sat Mar 17 00:26:51 CET 2001

At 02:55 PM 3/16/01 +0100, you wrote:
>I have OFTEN pondered this very question (every time I read it). Why not
>just use 2d6 (MEL) and 1d6 (EL)? I THINK the reason was this - a D10 gives
>a 40% better chance of EL6 (or 1/2 MEL max) than 1d6 does. By doing this,
>they are saying that TYPICALLY magic items are made by competent persons...
>as opposed to novices. Of course we ALL know that up to MEL 12 mages are
>still pretty much novices (powerful novices, but novices none the less). We
>all also know that if you got to MEL 12 using ANY *single group* of spells
>(say fire powers), your EL will be maxed out for that group of spells...
>(except in the case of dwarves which can basically add 8 to their max EL
>based on their armorer skill). I can't really explain any better why there
>are not any Mel 8 EL 10 items out there. Perhaps it is simply put in for
>game balance and my postulations are just bunk...

I argued over this years ago when I first started.  Since that was over a
decade ago
I forget the arguments and conclusions other than likely the above.  The
simple
matter
of statistical results make the D10 a bit more high than the 6s.

I see no reason not to modify the MEL/Half EL rule since it seems to work
pretty well
for balance.  Course a GM can always modify it for special things like a
item a
god
made there is always room for bending rules.

I think of course that rule mainly applies for npc oriented controlled items.
It always
seemed that rather than what a pc would create.  Course one could always
doa  D6/D3  D8/D4 system as well with items to balance it out.

I always thought there should be a level MEL balance system to the items
myself.
I mean 2d6 is fine but what about those level 28 mages :).  So I guess you
could add
another d6 per 6 levels or something.