Proposed Lands Perilous Calandar

Matijs van Zuijlen Matijs.van.Zuijlen at XS4ALL.NL
Mon Jun 18 13:56:09 CEST 2001

Scott Adams wrote:

> At 10:24 PM 6/17/01 +0200, you wrote:
> >Scott Adams wrote:

> >> I'm talking average die results ie d6 3-4 etc...how the averages fall.
> >> D12 would tend to average 5-7 makig it a bit robust..but it works
> >> ither way :)
> >
> >No, Matjis is correct, rolling 1d12 is the exact same as first
> >rolling 1d6 and then rolling 1d2. The only objective difference
> >whatsoever is that rolling a single dice is faster. Subjectively
> >the single dice may *appear* to be more "robust", but it isn't.
>
> I'm not talking about d6 THEN a d2....its just statistical analysis of the
> results would work a bit differently.  But I'll not get into it now as its
> no big deal.  But there is a slight difference...

Hm, I'm not convinced. But then again, I'm not sure you're out to
convince me here... Average birthday in both cases would be exactly in
the middle of the year, just as on earth (average date of birth,
*including* the year, is a different matter, of course, but that's
already taken care of by the age roll), with each day having the same
chance. Anyway, as long as we agree that the resulting distribution of
birthdays would be the same, we can forget about the rest and just roll
whatever dice we find useful (or own, I havn't seen my D12 in ages).

Matijs van Zuijlen.