P&P Ships (early draft, incomplete)

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Wed Aug 15 04:27:52 CEST 2001

At 08:58 AM 8/14/01 -0400, you wrote:

>Well, more like the new stuff.  I found some "Fire, Fusion and Steel" rules
>on the web dealing with watercraft.  Most of it was way out of tech, but I
>got a few nuggets out of them.

Ahh..that's why I didn't see it.  I think there is like 3-4 sentences
in the basic megatraveller rules on this stuff..so was surprised..
But understand now.

>Never thought much on it.  They probably exist, and are visable on clear
>nights for a few miles, within the same hex at best.  Probably an oil fed
>fire.  Given the expense they are probably only made for port cities or
>coastal forts.

Yeah with some mirrors could've extended the range a wee bit.  My vision of
this
stuff would be like lighted bouys for reefs and such.   Plus it would look
cool
:)
Course theres magical lighthouses I suppose that only show up say for
Faerry or
some
evil thing the GM can think of :)

>Since Elric is based on the Chaosim system (i.e. RQ system), they may be
>close to the same.  If you have them online, an email would be great.
>Otherwise, if you can xerox and mail to my address I'll spot the copy and
>mailing costs.
>
>Burton Choinski
>114 Caroline Dr.
>Bellingham MA  02019

I would have to pull the book out and look with the time these days don't know
when ..but
I'll take it to work and take a look then at the Stormbringer rules...
I could scan them...

>That may be so.  I may abstract it a bit in the final rules to coins spent
>per week to maintain it.
>A boat is a hole in the water you pour money into. :}

Yep....

I also think I did some Storm revisions years ago I wonder where those notes
are..
made them a bit tougher like Hurricanes and Tsumanis and such...the basic
system was a bit weak in that area :)
Since I live in floridia we have storms almost every day sometimes :)

>In one of the Heros magazines didn't they have an Elf Tree-galleon and a
>dwarven concrete battleship? :}

I seem to recall the tree thing vaguely.  Wasn't that concrete thing a
Dragon Magzine article though?  I seem to recall folks talking about
that years ago...I just stared at them in disbelief :)

>|| Well get to it! :)
>
>As Time allows. :}

I know the feeling..

>The problem of much of RQ (3rd version, which is what I have on hand) is
>more geared to normal-sized people in a dangerous world.  Even the maxed out
>human, at 18 hits, is in a terrible position against something like a
>dragon, with 24 armor and 70+ hits.  In P&P a topped out PC with 35+ hits
>and good SB can take a P&P dragon down in a few deadly hits.

Well it all comes down to luck most of the time :)...roll sucky and even in
Hawkmoon a favorite of mine (a future Earth Rpg) with tons of the
most advanced armor and such a mistake in dice can kill you :)

But every GM/player learns that after the first few games :)

>Probably what I will do in the 2nd draft.  I'll probably rearrange it,
>having samples and usage rules in front and the construction rules in the
>back as an appendix.

Coolness...great ext version draft :) (snicker)...

>|| Unless you have good slave sources :)
>
>Even using slaves is not free.  Yes, using slave labor will make it dirt
>cheap, but you will get a rotton ship is composed of unskilled labor.  You
>will still need craftsmen, and they are a good portion of the cost.  Plus,
>you still need to feed and equip the lot.

Yep...the persians and Egyptians learned those facts...but the Greeks used
slave labor and had a good fleet I understand...so I guess its how you
treat and train them..

>That's only 1100 pounds.  Take off 200 for the man himself, perhaps another
>50 for personal effects.  The rest is ship structure dedicated to supporting
>him -- bunks, open space so you can at least walk, mess area, etc.

yeah...

>|| anchors.  It may
>||                          ^^^^^^ :) Take that a part at a time
>||                          subliminal?
>|| Up to you...but anchors are vital in some games..there are
>|| tricks players
>|| can do with them...I've seen one powerful mage turn a anchor into
>|| brittle ice and with a ax it be destroyed in one swing...not
>|| good :)
>
>Well, look at this example...given the rules now, a 100 ton displacement
>vessel will weigh 25 tons and uses a 1 ton anchor.  I think this is probably
>sufficient to hold it in calm to choppy water in port.

Yes that's the weight I'm thinking.  At least LEAST 1 ton.
The War galleons of spain for example had like 3 (or 4 I forget) ton
anchors and 3 of them...massive things...course when you think
of say Titantics anchors its small in comparsion :)

Got a Elric supplement and the Sea Kings Supplement will review
them tomorrow at work for any info...
if there is no good ship info in the Sea Kings that's like having
a tank battle supplement without tank info :)