Powers & Perils Character System

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Sat Aug 11 01:32:22 CEST 2001

At 08:50 PM 8/7/01 +0200, you wrote:
>On 2001.08.05 15:20:05 +0200 Floyd Resler wrote:
>> In the grand tradition of the AD&D Character System (CharSys - see
>> <http://charsys.com/>http://charsys.com to learn more), I have started
working on a Powers &
>> Perils version (PPCharSys).  However, before I put too much effort in it,
>> I want to know if there would be a strong need for such an application.
>
>There are at least two P&P character generators already (which can be found
>at Wout's site, I guess). I'm not satisfied with either of them, and so
>have been working on my own. It's a version for Gnome on Linux. Although I
>probably would not be interested in a finished product (no Windows, no
>Mac), I would be interested in thoughts or code on how to handle the
>picking of skills (and, to a lesser extent, spells), especially with the
>skills where you get other skills for free. That includes weapon families.
>What I'm looking for here is a way to let me pick the skills I want and let
>the program figure out how much that would cost in terms of expertise
>points, while being smart enough to know that, say, if I want Assassin and
>Swimming, I only have to pay for Assassin, and maybe add some if I want
>swimming at a higher level.

Didn't like my pcgen eh? :)  I understand though you can't use it on linux :)
Actually my generator does do that for skills.  The main limit is it does not
do magic users since at that time 5-6 years ago I didn't have the neato
scanner and book pdfs.  I could work on it but magic users are a bit
more complex and tend to take more time so that's why the books are
more useful than a computer...