Walled cities?

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Sun Sep 24 04:23:06 CEST 2000

At 06:00 PM 9/23/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Hiya.
>

>Barbarians would not likely have but the typical cow/horse walls.  Only a
>few cutlures on earth had really sophisticated ones.  The only 'barbarian'
>cultures i seem to recall were those in medieval england and the germans who
>had some type of siege proof walls at times.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>    Well, maybe in "real life"...but in PL and P&P in general, barbarians
>have a LOT more to worry about than simply humans.  Athach, Barguest,
>Basilisk, 'Beasts', Beithir, Goblins, Grundwergen, Hydra, Minotaur, Ogre,
>etc...etc..etc.  And "in the widerness" they are more likely to encounter
>said creatures than be attacked by a lords army.  I would think some form of
>wall would be almost mandatory...even if it is simply a thin pallisade.  It
>may not hold off the beasty, but it might give time for the warriors to get
>their weapons and mount a defense/offense.

WHAT? you mean pnp is not real life? Since when? :)
You mean this is all make believe?  Ack..not good :)
But yeah it depends on the area I suppose.  A bit area like Zenda though
has open area and the cattle and such would give notice of anything
that approach.  But somewhere like deep mountains the creatures could
approach and not even be detected.

>    It's all semi-moot though...I think The Zen'Da are the only 'barbarian
>culture' of significance on the maps I'm making (9,10,14,15)...the Rogazini
>Empire is 'civilized' right?

As far as I know they are.  Last I looked.

>    As a side note, I do have a basic map with 'stuff' on it done.  I'll
>post a pic of it somewhere soon and let every take a gander. :-)

Cool