Experience option

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Sun Sep 17 03:31:39 CEST 2000

At 07:38 PM 9/16/00 +0000, you wrote:
>> Yeah I'm lazy as well :)  But its the only way I think I'll ever be able to
>> play :<
>> Unless one of you guys come say in the area to a convention or something
like
>> Atlanta, Tallhasee or even Orlando :)
>
>Well, if I could ever figure out voice connection through the net on my mac
>to your machine, I'll move a card table into the computer room. :)

Theres that net2 phone thing but I've not used it either due to sucky
headphone
mics...
But ICQ and IRC are the closest you'll get its real time live stuff just not
voice :)

>> Cool.  I never played in Goidan per se did in Caldo and that was fun....
>> Sounds fun....how many players you'll have?
>
>At present, 3 definite -- two old timers from when I first ran P&P in the
>early 80's, one newbie to the system.  The old timers have always made
>character s from Caldo or Marentia (the favored cultures), and I'm trying to
>tweak them a little into untested areas of the world.

hehe...yeah I prefer the south, fomoria, donara and martiea tends to be the
characters
favored lands in my games....sigh ....wish I could play...invent a transporter
or at
least get a level 20 in Teleport :)

>> If you ever need a GM advice on plots or such just email me :)
>> You do the political thing well?
>
>Will do.  I have to get all my old rules down off Wout's site. :)  I'm also
>going through what stuff I have online, typing it up and cleaning it up.
>When I have some new stuff I'll submit it to Wout.

Cool and if you need typed up stuff to print out like creatures or what night
just holler might
have it :)

>I'm going to use my idea of "Karmic Debt" in the character generation
>process -- You are allowed to reroll any roll in exchange for 1-2 points of
>karmic debt (2 points for linear rolls [d6, d10, d100], 1 point for bell
>curve rolls [2d10, 2d6]).  When you roll again you must take the roll, even
>if it is worse.  You may continue to re-roll, racking up more debt. I have
>not decided on a re-roll limit, probably something like 3 times or so.
>Specia events may be rerolled for debt if the result is "none" or fairly
>lame.  Obviously, quite a debt load can be racked up.

Coolness.  I've not done that for pnp but done something similar in other game
systems.
So that it would 'buy' points in disadvantages you'd have to spend or rolls in
the
"Bad Things Table" :)  Nothing serious but maybe a facial tick or a missing
toe
or
something :)

>In the game, when ever a success roll (percentages for magic or combat, 2d10
>for my skill variant which i will be using) rolls doubles on the d10's when
>the result is a success, if the player has any KD to pay off he must make a
>second roll and take the worst result of the two.  This will erase one point
>of debt.  Obvioulsy, a second roll of doubles that is still a successful
>result will prompt a third roll, and they must tak the worst of three (but
>remove two points of debt).

Sounds fair or you could base erasing points of level of RPing in that extreme
heroic deeds
would erase X while just saving a dog mith erase Y or something :)

>The system should allow for some player control over the fickle dice during
>character generation without having them endlessly roll -- there will be
>consequences in game for all their actions.  But the debt will not be a
>crushing burden, more of an annoyance that could bite them at the worst
>time.

Yep.

Ugh can't login to the website to update game will have to wait to see what's
up
with the server and send the update out tomorrow :<