Rebuilding P&P

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Fri Sep 8 23:31:39 CEST 2000

At 11:03 AM 9/7/00 +0200, you wrote:
>The Choinski Family wrote:
>>
>> Ill show a hand for the project.  Easiest way is to probably go
>> through the rules item by item (they ARE all numbered for our
>> convienece :) and vote to keep or toss (or change) each item.  Whe
>> done we can reorganize.
>>
>> I volunteer table making.  I got pretty good at it when I was working
>> on my own modified rules, and I can greate a nice EPS peiple can
>> import into the main document.  This in addition to rules kibitzing.
>> :)
>>        -- Burton
>
>Some thoughts on all this Net Project stuff:
>
>Going through the rules item by item would probably lead to chaos, if
>there is no plan beforehand on what 'we' want changed. Whether we all
>want the same things changed is another matter. It might be more
>worthwile, as a start, to just keep the existing rules, updated with the
>published errata, corrected spelling, and clarifications where needed.
>Any house rules and additions would then be up to the individual
>players.
>
>As Wout has pointed out, this is pretty much what our group has been
>doing for the past few years (yep, it's a slow process). The sources are
>all human-readable. They were in LaTeX, to allow postscript or printed
>versions to be generated. (No, I don't consider PostScript
>human-readable, at the moment). Recently, I've converted them to XML,
>and now both LaTeX and HTML versions can be generated from that. We
>decided on XML to ensure that the layout can be changed at will. If,
>e.g., tables are produced directly in EPS format, this would be, IMHO,
>very hard to do. Also, the XML encodes all versions we would want to
>produce: An exact copy of the original books, a version with errata, and
>two versions with additions and house rules.
>
>Matijs.

Well its worth a shot though honestly I know how the history of such projects
go they tend
to fail after a certain point.  If we don't do the rules I do think a great
asset of information
could be gleamed from group participation.  Including what I really would love
to have:

 * Boat Information (sizes, specs, crews)
 * Upper World/Lower World examples and samples
 * God Information a bit more info on personlity that folks have done in their
games

And tons of other things.  More cultureal info could be done like which
country
(a chart)
likes magic and which do not.  Which likes palaces and which like a hut as the
ruling
place, organizations, groups, guilds and such that we could work on.  Yes alof
that
is house rules but more info could give other GMs ideas and a ground work to
work on.

Just supplemental stuff.  Specs on vehicles (chariots, etc.).
Some guys like you have other GMs in the direct area to work with and (gee
even
get to play :<) but over the years only about 1 other person was interested
in
GMing
the game here and he didn't get a good grasp of the rules.  So I'm a bit
limited as to
who I can ping ideas from :)