*sighs* Ok, time to weigh in

Alex Koponen akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM
Wed Sep 6 00:29:32 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lyndon Liberty" <lliberty at siscom.net>
To: <POWERS-AND-PERILS at geo000.CiTG.TUDelft.NL>
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2000 1:52 PM
Subject: *sighs* Ok, time to weigh in on the Stat/Multiplier/Experience
thing...

> Hello all,
>
> I see that some power gamers permiate even this holy place. *smirks*
> Just kidding....

By the time you are MEL/CEP 15+ you are playing with major power(s).

> Let's go back to basics for a moment, please...
>
> "Native Ability represents the phenotypic potential of the character".
> This means : You cannot cheat your Genes bubba, only the gods get to do
> that.

Pretty much, though some special events do modify Native Abilities.

> "Beyond the restrictions above, players may assign thier multipliers in
any
> way they desire. The total number assigned may not exceed the Total
> Multipliers that are available for that character".
> This means: Due to your Personal choices, these are the limits to which
you
> can aspire.

1.1 says "...Native Ability in each. Section 1.12 sets a number of
multipliers that allow the player, by his own volition, to set development
priorities for his Character and increase characteristic values in play.
The..."
To me that shows that the multipliers are assigned to show the limits
imposed by learning constaints. These limits are the priority for time,
energy and attention that each ability receives. Since some get more
multipliers than others it stands to reason that these limits can be
overcome. This option allows for overcoming these limits at great cost in
experience. Granted, allowing a one step above normal maximum multiplier may
be going too far.

> As a GM, you have an option of starting stats at MAX or allowing your
> players to working up to their character's MAX stats. This *Potential*,
> allowed already, IS your character pushing themselves to be better than
they
> thought they could be. It IS improving beyond mere mortal men. It IS the
> Heroic end of stats... That is why it is there. Please re-read the whole
of
> book one again, it may have been some time since you have.

And once a character's Eloquence of 3 with multiplier of 1.5 maxes out at 5
no further improvement need be considered, eh? Well maybe. I'd like to think
that he mught be able to work up to a higher plateau. But again, its just an
option for those that want it.

> Lyndon

        Alex K.