Rebuilding P&P / Misc. Comments

Alex Koponen akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM
Tue Sep 5 21:19:41 CEST 2000

> IMNSHO, when making it a 'net' project to make p&p e-books we should stick
> to the original text first (although not neccessarily the original layout)
> and let everyone decide for themselves what modifications they want to
> make. Houserules seem to keep on changing over the years, so I would not
> want to put them in any basic rule book without an easy way to get rid of
> them again.

I agree.

> What I want to say is that I will not be tired of her when she reaches max
> stats, far from it. There are lots of other areas to develop a character,
> it is after all roleplaying.

Yep.

> Also: in the optional rule for increasing multipliers: is it the idea that
> you lower your current scores to get the CP needed to increase your Mult.
NO
> or that you just start a separate stat box and collect CPs there until
they
> add up to the amount needed?
YES

No. It is not the idea that you lower anything. Eventually characters don't
have the ability to use the Characteristic Points that the acquired MEP and
CEP give them because their stats are maxed. By being able to increase their
multipliers this allows them to spend characteristic points on the
multipliers, which in turn allows more spending on the current abilities (as
the max ability has been increased).

> The rule seems somewhat unfair to non-humans who have greater than 5
> multipliers in some scores already. Even if we extend the table given,
they
> would end up paying incredible amounts of CPs to raise their max, where
> some dumb character with a 1.5 multiplier gets a cheap increase to 2.5.
Why
> not make a table based on the relative increase? They first half point
> costs so much, the second half point four times more or so etc.

   Yes, one could do that. Of course there is the contrary argument saying
that they already have an advantage in having such a high multiplier.
Remember that the difference from 6.0 to 8.0 gives a much greater difference
in maximum ability than from 1.5 to 2.0 or 3.5 to 4.0.
   Hmmm...I suppose a compromise could be reached wherein one multiplies the
costs from the table below by the number of increases i.e. x1 the first
time; x2 for the second increase; x3 et cetera.
   Another possibility I'd thought of is that one could be strict and say
that one could only raise the multiplier on any stat once. This would keep
intact the relative importance accorded the stats at character creation. (I
use a house rule that allows one to place native ability rolls). But
multiplying the cost might be better.
   Generally players put higher multipliers on their highest native
abilities when creating a character in order to maximize the use of the
muliplier. After all, 3x4.0=12 (a waste of a 4.0 as a 2.0 would give the
same bonus) whereas 13x4.0=52 (giving a +3 bonus when maxed).

> OK, you would have to keep a separate score of how much mult-increase you
> already bought, but hey it's p&p, it's all about administration. (The
> optional Expertise for CP training rule also requires you to keep score of
> how much training you have had)
> Metatron Aleikum (*),
> Wout

The Increase Multiplier Cost Table  (uses Table 1.12)
1.0 to 1.5 costs 50 Characteristic Points [1,250 MEP or 2,500 CEP].
1.5 to 2.0 costs 50 Characteristic Points [1,250 MEP or 2,500 CEP].
2.0 to 2.5 costs 100 Characteristic Points [2,500 MEP or 5,000 CEP].
2.5 to 3.0 costs 150 Characteristic Points [3,750 MEP or 7,500 CEP].
3.0 to 3.5 costs 250 Characteristic Points [6,250 MEP or 12,500 CEP].
3.5 to 4.0 costs 400 Characteristic Points [10,000 MEP or 20,000 CEP].
4.0 to 5.0 costs 650 Characteristic Points [16,250 MEP or 32,500 CEP].
5.0 to 6.0 costs 1050 Characteristic Points [26,250 MEP or 52,500 CEP].
6.0 to 8.0 costs 1700 Characteristic Points [42,500 MEP or 85,000 CEP].
Characteristic Points (each at 25 MEP or 50 CEP) that cannot be used for
other purposes i.e. increase stat.
Multipliers may not be increased more than once past species/sex maximum nor
past 8.0.

        Alex K.