Rebuilding P&P / Misc. Comments

Wout Broere w.broere at CITG.TUDELFT.NL
Tue Sep 5 12:50:49 CEST 2000

At 03:26 AM 9/5/00 -0500, you wrote:
>      rules  and putting it out on the 'Net?     But, the world is
>suffering from lack of a really good fantasy role-playing system (one that
>is  devoted to fantasy RPGs, and nothing else).   &P  would have benefitted
>from a better layout, methinks, and we could all add  clarifications to the
>rules that we have found over the years).     Unless we all agree from the
>beginning.   &   But  I think that we would all benefit from making this a
>"net project".   David Jackson www.mp3.com/SonicRuin

Have read the varo\ious threads from the alst few days.
A few odd comments from me thrown together.

First, there is the Postscript/PDF version of Books I and II we (the
Amsterdam, NL P&P group) have made for ourselves, as the original books we
have are worn and we wanted to include the errata and house rules we use in
those books. I have sent out copies of those files to some people in the
past and some of them still find some of the errors made in scanning and
converting those books (Thanks, Charlie).
Those books are being converted to HTML also, but as always don't hold your
breath. Send me a private mail for more info.

We still haven't scanned and converted books III and IV and have no plans
to do so soon. But if anyone would send a plain ascii text file with all
text and tables from those books or something I would appreciate it.

No, I won't place those books on the website. Any homemade rules or
comments or adventures are legal as far as copyright is concerned, but
publishing the integral rules is not.

IMNSHO, when making it a 'net' project to make p&p e-books we should stick
to the original text first (although not neccessarily the original layout)
and let everyone decide for themselves what modifications they want to
make. Houserules seem to keep on changing over the years, so I would not
want to put them in any basic rule book without an easy way to get rid of
them again.

On the max-stats discussion: my current table-top p&p character (Qadishtu
Ma'Dama Fox Felicitas, yep a Priestess of the Law god Metatron) has some
exceptional maxs in I,W and Em, but as she uses magic quite a lot, at high
levels, she gets a lot of MEP and thereby a lot of CPs. A few more sessions
and her Em will have maxed out at 100 (Supernatural!) as will most other
scores.
Her skills and spell ELs go up much slower, so there is enough room for
score development. And that is not even taking personality development of
the character into account. I want her to move up in the clerical ranks and
such, which may take years to accomplish (game time as well as real time).

What I want to say is that I will not be tired of her when she reaches max
stats, far from it. There are lots of other areas to develop a character,
it is after all roleplaying. (Characters tend to die on me before I get
bored with them.)

Also: in the optional rule for increasing multipliers: is it the idea that
you lower your current scores to get the CP needed to increase your Mult.
or that you just start a separate stat box and collect CPs there until they
add up to the amount needed?

The rule seems somewhat unfair to non-humans who have greater than 5
multipliers in some scores already. Even if we extend the table given, they
would end up paying incredible amounts of CPs to raise their max, where
some dumb character with a 1.5 multiplier gets a cheap increase to 2.5. Why
not make a table based on the relative increase? They first half point
costs so much, the second half point four times more or so etc.

OK, you would have to keep a separate score of how much mult-increase you
already bought, but hey it's p&p, it's all about administration. (The
optional Expertise for CP training rule also requires you to keep score of
how much training you have had)

So much ramblings for now. As always I should excuse myself for the amount
of material still to be added to the site, but nowadays I get to blame
Scott for creating a great campaign that eats up the little time I have for
online p&p and website maintenance.
Thanks, Scott.

Rambling as always,
Metatron Aleikum (*),
Wout

(*) 'Metratron is Mighty'
PS:
Have a set of theological quotes ready, it's very good to annoy your fellow
group members. Especially the
not-very-lawfull-suspected-chaos-suspected-magic-user-type. Get to practice
my Lightning some more next Saturday ;>