Experience option

Alex Koponen akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM
Mon Sep 4 20:57:24 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "The Choinski Family" <choinski at TIAC.NET>
To: <POWERS-AND-PERILS at geo000.CiTG.TUDelft.NL>
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2000 3:08 AM
Subject: Re: Experience option

> > Here is an optional rule for comment.
>
> Not to pick nits, but this is an example of a "rough corner' that need to
be
> smoothed.
>
> Of ALL the attributes, why are Ap and C the only ones that start maxed?  I
> certainly makes as much sense as a stat that start out at maximum as those
> two.

Well actually people (at least myself, personally) both acquire knowledge
and learn how to use their native intelligence in the course of their lives.
I certainly don't think that I started out maxed.
Probably Richard Snider felt that Ap and C were the only two stats that
don't change much, or that one couldn't do much to change. Of course one
might expect there to be spells that could affect these stats (and there
are).

> Now granted, if C did not start maxed new players would be pretty weak and
> likely to croak real early, but there is no reason I can see that Ap and C
> could not also be made into "increasable" stats -- simply modify the table
> for initial attribute increase up by 20% for all entries.
>
> > Optional Rule re multipliers
> > May increase multipliers up to 5 at high cost in EP. [MEP may not be
used
> > for S,
> > A, C or Ap. CEP may not be used for C or Ap.]
> > 1.5 to 2 costs 50 Characteristic Points (each at 25 MEP or 50 CEP) that
> > cannot be
> > used for other purposes i.e. increase stat. [1,250 MEP or 2,500 CEP].
> > 2.0 to 2.5 costs 100 Characteristic Points [2,500 MEP or 5,000 CEP].
> > 2.5 to 3.0 costs 150 Characteristic Points [3,750 MEP or 7,500 CEP].
> > 3.0 to 3.5 costs 250 Characteristic Points [6,250 MEP or 12,500 CEP].
> > 3.5 to 4.0 costs 400 Characteristic Points [10,000 MEP or 20,000 CEP].
> > 4.0 to 4.5 costs 650 Characteristic Points [16,250 MEP or 32,500 CEP].
> > 4.5 to 5.0 costs 1050 Characteristic Points [26,250 MEP or 52,500 CEP].

Actually perhaps the table under 1.12 should be used with a maximum increase
of one line to the right (max 8) for an attributes multiplier. Thus
characters could go from 4 to 5 for all stats (cost 650) except Ap and C
which for Humans conceivably could go to 6 (cost 1050 if you are allowed to
raise these stats) and Dwarves' C could perhaps go from 6 to 8 (costing
1700) if one allows raising of C and/or Ap. Fairies Ap remains maxed at 8.
Also for Fairies and Elves the change from C mult 1 to 1.5 would be 50
Characteristic Points. Again, only if allowed.

> If I take this table correctly, your average PC is going to be paying 250
> points per _1_ point attribute increase in is areas of competance.  This
is
> way too painful.

No, I do not think that you take the table correctly. This does not increase
an attribute by any points but it does change the *multiplier* (and hence
the maximum ability goes up) allowing other characteristic points to be
spent to increase Current Ability in the attribute towards the new, higher
Maximum Ability. Basically to be used by very experienced characters who
have already maxed most of their stats.

> Show of hands -- how many here have had players that actually maxed out
the
> attributes?  It's not very cmmon, and since the skills are limited by
> current attributes it's kind of unfair.
>       -- Burton

Most of the players in my group had characters that maxed most of their
stats, some maxed all. Of course we took advantage of Rule 4 in character
creation, went heavy on Expertise points and spent them on training
characteristics. Thus these characters had an advantage stat-wise (and
disadvantage CEP or wealth wise) over characters that didn't do that. And
yes, this optional rule is unlikely to have much effect until characters are
10th level or so.
[Olaf Twisted-Tongue (E3 mult 1.5 maxE5) had always been a man of few
words...because he stammered and stuttered and knew not what to say, until
as one of the most experienced of those in the war counsels he, though never
nimble tongued, became adequetely skilled at speaking and communicating his
wisdom. (mult 2.5 max E8)].

        Alex K.