copyright

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Tue Oct 31 02:32:36 CET 2000

At 06:56 PM 10/30/00 +0100, you wrote:
>At 09:47 PM 10/27/00 +0200, you wrote:
>>I'm drewling and it doesn't even exist yet... I'm such a nerd.
>
>Now when this tread started I was somewhat confused. I've seen MUDs and
>some of the first graphic interface based MUDs, but the AC means nothing to
>me. Seems that AC, UO and EverQuest are only (officially) available in the
>US, not in Europe. Wonder why that is. Any ideas?
>
>I wouldn't mind being involved in the making of such a game, based on p&p
>or not, but it is a bit more than just implementing the p&p combat system.
>Given the terrible amount of interface programming that has to be done to
>beat EQ. And most customers (kids) will go for the quality of the graphics
>and special effects and not for the copmplexity of the combat and magic
>system, or the background. Having an seemingly endless random supply of
>neat items to loot from monsters is much more important. (Now there the p&p
>treasure generation system would really help.)
>
>Yes I'm dribbling too, but how much time and effort are you willing to
invest?
>Ft

I still am a bit leary of it all.  The amount of work vs the popularity of the
game.
Then going against the big boys like UO.  Why do this?  To increase the game
reputation?  Well we'd have a ton of kids on this list as a result not talking
about
the game but things like how they just beat the dragon in EverQuest or
something.
I think it'd disintergrate.  Would it help the reputation?  I doubt it.  Since
AH doesn't
really care about the game system is it going to increase sales?  And if so
will AH do anything about it (ok hasbro)?  No to both questions.  Now do we do
it just for us our small tight grouphere?
Ok.  That's fine but we have to all consider such things.

 Another thing is time.  Do we have time?  It could take a mighty long time
not
months
but maybe a year or more of dedication.  I've been a part of such projects in
the past
and in some ways still am.  It is still ongoing one project 3 years later and
not complete.
Also how many programmers do we have in the group?  Me.  And  I think 2 or 3
others
it seems from what I've seen.  Not word or script coders but programmers that
can
sit and work on the game.

 Personally I'd love to see such a thing done.  But I just don't know if I
could deciate the
time fully but only in a part time basis.  I'm currently working on a game
myself and
just getting into the good stuff so going to dedicate alot of time for that.

 A mud universe would be rather easy to use.

 1) Create world - flat map wilderness terrains - ie random encounters..easy
 2) Create towns, dungones, sites (a bit more complex)
 3) insert players with mean monsters random combat and treasure
overall it could be a simple project but its time consuming.

You also hav eto have the server to support such a project :)

The universe would be unique or we could do the PL map and have a premade
universe with
uppwer and lower world for hi players.  But of course this is dreams we
have to
sit and
decide if its worth it.