Planar Travel

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Sat Oct 28 22:57:55 CEST 2000

At 09:29 PM 10/27/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Hiya.
>
>    Here's my 2¢...
>
>> Personally, I have always ruled the following way :
>> 1. The "Elven/Fearry/other" Interworld travel spell is just that, a spell
>> or spell based innate.
>
>    AFAIK...
>    Elf = Upper and Lower World travel.
>    Faerry = Lower World travel
>    Dwarf = Lower World travel.
>
>    Take a look at that.  What do you *not* see?  I'll tell you...Middle
>World travel. ;-)  That's how I run it.  An elf/fae/dwarf can *enter* the
>up/low world (depending), but once there, the only way back for them is to
>find one of the naturally occuring gates back to the Middle world.  This
>keeps these races from simply taking off when the heat gets to much for
>them, and then pop back in a few minutes later...fully healed and more
>skilled.
>    Works for me.

 This is just about 100% what I do.  In that they can pop out but can't pop in
so easilly.
So theres a catch to the use of the spell.

>    This is one thing I don't use.  I've adjusted it so that a creature
>native to the Middle world (re: Humans) age relative to the Middle world.
>That is, if they go to the Upper world, one day is one day.  If a creature
>is native to the upper or lower world, *then* the time thing kicks in
>(hence, why elves "live forever"; they actually don't live any longer than
>humans, but because they are native to the upper world, 64 earth days is
>equal to 1 actual day. (in short, a max life span, from the POV of a human,
>of about 600).

I use the age difference/time factor especially when Fate plays a role.

>> 3. Upper world travel is do-able via Astral Paths as well.  I have ALWAYS
>> used a randomized roll when it comes to encounters while doing this.
>> Essentially you have to follow a Astral Path (Similar to a Mana/Ley Line
>> from GURPS) through whatever terrain it goes.  Good frickin luck staying
>> alive with creature encounters a base 2x meaner (up to 4x size creatures
>> can be met while using this spell, good xp if you live to tell about it)).
>
>    Interesting.  Never really had PC's wondering off to the Up/Low worlds.
>Maybe one day.

Its dangerous but its an adventure :)

"We do all this and that before you even wake up in the middle world we have
done major
campaigns..." :)