First Game! Woo-hoo!

Burton Choinski burton.choinski at MATRIXONE.COM
Wed Oct 11 19:19:12 CEST 2000

Well, the first session of my new game went off on monday.  Nothing
really special, just a short, non-plotted session of hunting in the
hills close to one of the character's towns in order to shake off the
rust with the system and introduce two newbies to it.

Standard P&P, but using my 2d10 skill system (with all skills converted
to EL, not "or 80").

1) I had forgotten how fast PCs can tear through creatures. In one case
an Earth giant came upon them.  Even though they were mounted and rode
off, I had it follow them, and it caught up while they were camped.
While the two PCs and hired henchmen held it off, the other PC with her
composite bow plugged it with two deadly hits.  On the last deadly hit,
the damage done, plus the MDV of the biggest PC there, was enough of an
add to the casting roll to make the giant fail to cast his earthquake
spell (by 2 points!).

2) The "doubles on failure" rule I am using bit them 4 times -- 3 times
the archer's bowstrings snapped or came undone, taking that bow out of
action for the combat.  One warrior flubbed and dropped his weapon,
losing a turn of action as he picked it up.

3) Of the PC's playing, one with 85 karmic debt, one with 24, one with
5, only the one with 5 rolled doubles on success.  His re-roll was a
miss. The KD did not come up very much in this session, but given the
number of combat rolls this was probably just a fluke of the dice.

The Female archer who plugged the giant (they encountered another two
hill giants and an Atach -- it was a rampant run of kotothi rolls that
night it seemed -- I think they cleaned out the giant population for the
area :) got som other good hits.  She went from CEL3 (250 exp) to CEL6
(920 exp) that night, complete with the attribute increases.  Granted,
they could all have perished, but if anyone else has any comments on
archers racking up mongo points, please reply.

The PC who is an innate shadow weaver as well as having innate fire
powers was seemingly cursed that night.  He rolled 6 abysmals that
night.  For the abysmals with the innate powers I just doubled the
energy loss.  Two abysmals were done with is magical training. One left
him insubstantial for 5 days, the last one left his shadow posessed
(which is where we left off).  I have to determine the effects of the
possession, as well as the toughness of the posession and difficulty to
banish.  I was thinking of making the MDV of the shadow equal to his
MDV, but effectivly DOUBLED if he tries to banish it himself (it knows
what he is doing and is better able to counteract his spells).

In other news, all that stuff about the "Marentian Mountain Village"
that I was using as example in all my stuff is technically moot -- we
decided that since he is a Baron (Station 4), he has domain over a
village, and we chose the one at the road/river intersection south of
Valheu (sp?).  For the moment we have decided that he pulls in the
5600SC from the town proper in taxes, but I'll have to see about
determining how much each business throws off as profit.  If anyone has
charts on this stuff, send them along, otherwise I'll probably start
working out something on my own.
       -- Burton
--
Burton Choinski
Principle Software Engineer, Quality Engineering
email: burton.choinski at matrixone.com

phone: 978-322-2135
fax  : 978-452-5764

MatrixOne, Inc.
Two Executive Drive
Chelmsford, Ma 01824
www.matrixone.com

The First in Intelligent Collaborative Commerce