Powers & Perils Meets Harn Combat

Maouse maouse at FULTON-NET.COM
Tue Oct 10 22:49:30 CEST 2000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 09:13:37 -0700, Mays, Brian <Brian.Mays at FC.CELERA.COM>
wrote:

>> As far as going into HARN (??? never heard of it and it
>> sounds way more
>> ocnfusing than it needs to be, what with five modifiers
>> before you even
>> choose location... sheesh, that'll speed things up - NOT)
>
>I have played HarnMaster, and I have to say, the combat system looks a lot
>more confusing than it really is.  Once you've gone through it once or
>twice, it's amazingly fast, and FUN, the kind of combat session you end up
>telling your friends about . . .
>
>Just my $0.02.
>
>Brian

I guess they all seem more confusing at first.  I mean ICE's system has boo
koo tables but really isn't that bad (for the GM).  It's always just a
matter of familiarity really.  I kinda like the "no location" in the aspect
of having played enough other games with them I find them to be overused.
If every time you hit someone you have to check to see if you cut a pinky
off or broke a nail doing it it doesn't seem worthwhile.  Like I said
earlier, I usually don't roll location, because SB(or2)d10 + EL + WSB is
usually enough to get the PC's attention.  I also love the optional KO
rules, because it allows (quite nicely) for gang attacks to subdue in which
even the stoutest of fellows can be taken down when outnumbered (ok,
basically 5-1 means you'd have to make five saves (regardless of %)! this
is serious, because one failure ends it).  I have fealt for some time that
locations on crits would add flavor (did you loose an eye or an ear that
time? do you still have a scar and is it visible, etc...), but not to do
"extra" damage or anything like that.  Of course regeneration makes this
fairly mute also.

-maouse