Too many skills...

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Wed Nov 22 00:35:19 CET 2000

At 05:04 PM 11/21/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Ah, well if that is the case, I'd have to totally disagree.  If you have
>the points and buy the skill you should get the same benefit that someone
>who was not trained in ANOTHER carreer skill gets.  You went into the
>forest, chopped down a few trees (axe of 2), spoke elf and faerry, and
>learned how to shoot a bow and survive off the woods (all percentages
>rolled of course).  An assassin learns how to kill people, why should this
>be limited because he learned forestry first?  And if an assassin went
>under cover in the woods (or grew up in the woods, or any number of other
>explainations) and learned forestry skills, would he have just learned how
>to shoot a bow? nope, don't think so.  He'd have learned the same thing
>other foresters were learning...  It's like saying that since I'm a PC
>technician, I can become a programmer, but I won't/can't learn all the
>languages that other programmers learn... um, no, a degree still requires
>the same things as it did before.
>
>Alternately, you could NEED to spend bookoo points on bow to get to max EL
>because you rolled less than the 40%.  That is to say that, sure you went
>out with dad in the woods and learned how to survive & track, and you may
>or may not have met an elf or faerry, and you may have even chopped down a
>tree or two.  Unfortunately dear old dad doesn't carry a gun.  He never
>taught you how to shoot one.  What the book is implying is that 40% of all
>medival dads had guns (ie. bows) and taught the skill to their kids.  The
>unfortunate MAJORITY of kids who's dad's couldn't afford or did not like
>guns would have to go learn it elsewhere.  I don't think this system is
>unreasonable... you perhaps have a group of adventurers who went out into
>the woods together in their early days and shot squirrels...
>
>-Marcel aka maouse
>
>ps. the same applies to other subskills as well...

That's how I tend to agree with it.  Most did have bows like in the old west
period
in america most had a gun (real gun) for hunting and thus that's why guns were
so wide spread it was as common as a cell phone today.
Theres always circumstances as well.  A assassin/thief is hunted years by
bounty
hunters so he goes into the woods and low and behold learns forester and
subskills.  Course the reverse would make more logical sense in pre history
but it works as well.