Campaign worlds

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Sun Nov 5 00:27:20 CET 2000

At 11:49 AM 11/4/00 -0800, you wrote:

> I've also been thinking about running Arcanum rules in Perilous Lands.
> I don't know how many people are familiar with these.  Published by
> Bard Games, they are the culmination of the Compleat Spellcaster,
> Alchemist, and Adventurer series.  Basically an attempt at making D&D a
> little more simple, realistic and playable - successful on all counts
> as far as I'm concerned.  There are a good dozen different types of
> spellcasters, with different types of magic!! - They don't all use the
> same spell lists.  The game also comes with a huge list of alchemical
> components (herb, animal parts, minerals, etc) with effects for use in
> spells and creating herbal elixers, remedies, potions, philtres, and
> many other such items.  Whether you play it or not, it is an excellent
> book just to have on your shelf if you are a roleplaying bibliophile
> like myself!

Arcane.  A classic set of rules.  But gosh.  I've nto really looked at that
stuff in years.

> Perilous Lands can't be beat for a Swords and Sorcery (a la Robert E.
> Howard) atmosphere.  It is the best designed world in a box that I own.
> Harnworld is far more detailed and realistic but you need 20
> supplements to flesh it out.  One of the reasons I love Perilous Lands
> (I can feel the wrath coming down on me now!) is that it is out of
> print.  There is no more "canon" material being produced.  This means
> that there are no supplements that suck.  The flip side of course, is
> that there are no more great supplements coming out either, but having
> lived through the last 10 years of the roleplaying hobby I am far too
> jaded.  I have seen so little high quality material released that I
> almost dread seeing a new game.

Yeah heck I got back almost 20 years and not seen a good suplement in ages.
The only suplmenets I ever used was some Fasa Material for Star Trek (my first
rpg system) it had some good decent and simple scenerios where they weren't
bogged down in nice flashy graphics and no plot.  The only other fantasy
system
I saw good supplmenets were for Elric/Strombringer/hawkmoon .  The one
scenerio I think of isn't a unique plot but it was so detailed and yet not
bogged
down it could lap into months of gaming.

I remeber when D&D supplements filled the shelfs in stores.  Man those things
seemed to be teh same after awhile with just new covers :)