Questions..

Alex Koponen akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM
Sun Feb 13 18:58:53 CET 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Scott Adams <longshot at DARKTECH.ORG>
To: <POWERS-AND-PERILS at geo000.CiTG.TUDelft.NL>
Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2000 8:02 AM
Subject: Questions..

> 1) A person has 2 magic paths Shaman and Wizardy.  IF at MEL 4 then
> he gets MEL 5 for Shaman and still 4 for Wiz.  That Mel 5 would gain 20
for
> Casting ability.
Presuming mana level of 20, yes.

> Now CA is 100 say.  Now if Wiz is MEL 5 does he get ANOTHER 20?  I don't
> think so myself, seems like once you pass the initial MEL threshold per
level you
> only get the bonus once.  But would like other opinions.
My opinion, is that only the highest 'Trained' MEL counts. Thus the first
move to (trained) MEL5 gives an increase in Casting Ability. Subsequent
increases in other fields to MEL5 don't.

> Also do you use 2 MDVs or just one based
> on highest?  If you get the drift of my first question :)
Yes :)   It depends. I would use 2 MDVs. The highest applies to any defense
using MDV. The specific MDV would apply when you are using MDV to increase
the chance of a spell working - say the Wizard/Shaman casts Invisibility on
himself he would use the MDV generated by the magic path (Shamanic or
Wizard) of the spell used (is it Shamanic Invisibility? Then Shamans get the
Tonah bonus) as a modifier to the roll. Which may make a difference if MELs
are different. [Presuming that one allows the MDV to be used as a negative
modifier to the roll in such cases. As per rule 13.91]

Opinions of Alex Koponen