sources

Wout Broere w.broere at CT.TUDELFT.NL
Wed Feb 9 14:41:05 CET 2000

At 08:14 AM 2/9/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Does anyone know what sources were used to create P&P?  Names like Sidhe
(which I know means faerry), Sith, Kototh, Ahura suggest some extensive
research, but I have no idea where.  How much of it is research and how
much is imagination?

The Sidhe as the family of mythological beings to which elf, fearry, gnome
and troll belong (the light-shy) is something that stems from celtic and
gaelic mythology

The dwarf pictured in Book III is typically that from norse mythology; Jinn
and Peri are creatures from ancient Persian myhtology; Vampires are a
mixture of transsylvanian and ethiopian vampires; Some of the gods are
rather norse, other eqyptian, persian or babylonian; etc.

The picture I get is that someone read a number of classical works on
euro-asian mythology and combined all the monsters and gods found there.
The results is that most of the creatures are very close to their
mythological origins and there has been very little imagination involved as
far as the creators of p&p are concerned.

Just my 10 cents,
Ft