Snider Q&A Combat II

Alex Koponen akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM
Mon Feb 7 00:16:40 CET 2000

To continue...            Oh yes, these questions were sent the summer of
1984
                                The answers received in November 1984.

Q.    Book 2 p.7     1.55)    D) Strength Bonus
I presume that the extra damage applies to sharp objects (spears, throwing
daggers, etc.) as well?
A.    [any weapon you strike with.]    SB applies with any weapon you strike
with, sharp or not. It does not apply for those that are projected by a
machine such as bows, crossbows, etc. The important factor is WHO is
providing the force of the projectile.

Q.    Book 2 p.7   1.57)  An archer fires then is closed with and attacked.
That phase can he change weapons?  [A. yes] Or does it take a full phase to
change weapons?  Can a Character change weapons and attack the same phase?
A.    [Full phase needed to get use of weapon including defensive EL.]
The archer can change weapons that phase but may not attack in melee or use
his EL defensively. It takes a full phase to get the normal use of his new
weapon.

Q.    Book 2  p.8  2)  On severe and deadly hits does armor protect also or
just the helmet?  Example - Kurm is wearing a leather helmet and chainmail
when his opponent hits him with a severe hit doing 8 points. Does 7 points
get thru or only 4?  I presume 7.  [A.  1D2*  1=Armor  2=helmet]
    Shields - Does armor help stop damage if the AV of the shield is
exceeded?  I'd presume so.
A.    As we have used Armor and Helmets, both apply on severe and deadly
hits. I have discovered that this may be a bit much and am considering a
modification. Either helmets only or a 1D2* roll with a 1 being the armor
and a 2 being the helmet. As a Dark Horse, I may go to 1D3* with the others
the same and a 3 being the shield. (This because I have found that with a
good shield and any EL, shields are almost impenetrable)

Q.    Repair costs should be revised. Reason - Leather or Ring Mail may be
replaced for the same cost as to repair 1 point of damage, according to the
rules as they now read.
A.    [revision in the air of both construction and repair costs]    Repair
and construction rules for armor require revision. I am still unsure how I
will change them.

Q.    Sometime in the future I would like to see a Grand Tactical version of
the game so that characters may lead armies into battle. Also a strategic
version.
A.    [Coming soon.]    In one of the upcoming editions of Hereos an army
combat system will be published. It should be adequate to your needs.

Q.    Book 2  p.11  4.9) ATTACK PRIORITY    please explain better.
    Does a man OCV6 with sword have attack priority : 7 (for OCV); 9 (for
sword); 16 (for OCV+sword); or what? So far I give OCV + weapon attack
priority to all.
    In what order do they strike: Bragga OCV6 with polearm; Able OCV16 with
sword; and Chuck OCV 1 with trrown dagger. presume that none have moved..
A.    [Weapon only (OCV is for Monster Weapon Equivilancy)], [Chuck, Bragga,
Able]    The basic rule does not factor OCV in except to give creatures a
weapon priority equivalent. Only the weapon counts. A modification is in
testing that will improve this - giving closing and engaged priorities and
an advantage for higher Expertise Levels. In your example, as the rule sits,
Chuck throws his dagger, Bragga strikes with his Polearm and then Able gets
his sword blow in.

Q.    Book 3 or 4    AGING - How does it affect abilities and skills?  Any
ideas?
A.    [No effect as rules are now.]    There are no rules for aging in the
game. As the rules stand, it has no effect. I may add an article in Heroes
at a later daye on this subject.

Next - Misc.