Snider Q&A - Combat I

Alex Koponen akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM
Sun Feb 6 02:54:12 CET 2000

Hello Again  (Not much response so far),

    I continue with my questions and Richard Snider's answers.

Q.    Why doesn't CEL have an effect on dodging?
A.    [if desired make option  roll-CEL]    You can modify your game and
allow dodgers to subtract their CEL from their roll if you think that CEL
should apply. (Makes a 40 a 34 if CEL6).

Q.    Do Elves, Faerries, or Dwarves see in the dark?
A.    [yes]    Elves, Faerries and Dwarves see in the dark.

Q.    Book 1 p.24  2.55) I assume, but please make clearer, that after EL0,
skill with Misc. Throwing Weapons goes up individually. i.e. a Character may
be EL4 with Thrown Rock, EL2 with Shuriken, and EL0 with Thrown Chair.
A.    [yes]    Your assumption with Miscellaneous Throwing Weapons is
correct.

Q.    Book 1 p.24  2.513) UNTRAINED USE  What about Hand to Hand?
2.5131)
    What is the WSB of HTH (Hand to Hand)? What is subtracted or added to
the damage if a character is NWI+3 or NWI-2?
    How does NWI change? What is the fatigue Value of HTH or NWI? (Broken
hands, teeth, and claws)
A.    [No WSB or Fatigue Value]    [Untrained HTH   add to roll (25- partial
expertise)]
        [Trained HTH  as per any other combat skill
                    NWI is applied as for EL on roll to hit only
                    severe hit -- +(NWI/2(RU)) x -1
                    Deadly hit -- +NWI x -1                              ]
    Untrained use also applies for hand-to-hand. There is not WSB for it. If
NWI +3, add three, if NWI -2, subtract 2. There is no fatigue value for NWI.
I chose to avoid this layer of complication.
    If untrained Hand-to-Hand add (25-Partial Expertise). In all other
cases, use your EL as for any other combat skill. NWI is applied as for EL
in all cses. As the rules stand, it does not effect damage for Severe and
Deadly hits. It is possible that it will in the future. If so,
(NWI/2(RU))x -1 is added to severe hits. NWI x -1 is added to Deadly Hits.

Q.    How about weapon skills from later periods:
Rapier, Epee - Light Sword (D+A)/10
Two Weapon Use - Rapier & Dagger, Sword and Mace, Sword & Cloak, etc.
A.    There are Two Weapon rules in TOWER OF THE DEAD.

Q.    Parrying rules with weapons - are we just limited to using EL
offensively or defensively (no parry instead of attack as with the dodging
with shield option)?
A.    As things stand, there is no Parry. It could be added optionally to
the basic dodging rules, i.e. if dodging you may attempt to parry on Partial
Success. At this point, rules are indefinite so I leave them up in the air.

Q.    Can you disarm opponents?  If so - how?  Any advantage vs. unarmed
opponents?  If so - what?
A.    As things now stand, you can not disarm opponents. It could be added
as a special subdual attack. I leave this in the air as well.

Q.    Why have Full Helms that are more expensive and afford no more
protection than Metal Helmets?
A.    [+3 with Plate  +2 otherwise]    In Book of Tables Full Helms are
changed to +3 when worn with the right armor and +2 with other armors.

Q.    Book 1 p.38  Combat Experience Gain - Does it include the extra damage
caused by a weapons magic?  I'd presume so.
A.    [yes]    Yes for CEP and magic weapons.

Q.    Book 1 p.38  3.4) EL that the spell is known or the EL that it is cast
at? I presume the latter.
A.    [cast EL]    MEP are gained based on the cast EL.

Q.    Book 2 p.4  Natural Weapons if the NWI is zero or higher - explain
higher (+1 or -1, which).
A.    [- is better (i.e. decrease roll]    For NWI, + modifiers increase the
roll, - modifiers decrease it.

Q.    An Elf with Elven Bow (WSB+2) and Elven Arrows (WSB+1) does how much
damage? WSB=3? I presume so. When using magical missile weapons and magic
missiles I assume that the bonuses are cumulative.
A.    [yes]    An Elf arrow from an Elf bow does WSB +3. They are
cumulative.

Q.    Book 2 p.6    I'm surprised that you give a spear greater range than a
javelin.
A.    Switch the ranges.  Ranges for Spear and Javelin are wrong. Give Spear
the range stated for Javelin and Javelin that stated for Spear. My error.

Q.    Apparently the rules of P&P consider that an EL1 bowman is the same
regardless of CEL, D, and A.  Also the same for the defender - no regard for
their CEL, D, or A.  I suggest change. Perhaps:  <suggestion included>.
A.    The effectiveness for EL in any weapon is at the bottom end, i.e. the
increased ability to inflict Deadly and Severe Hits. I think that the
difference between EL1 and EL16 is MAJOR in missile fire and all other
weapons. It has a major effect on the chance of a deadly hit, the chance of
hitting at long range and the chance of getting a shot past an opponents
shield, if he has one. This is especially true given the probable fact that
the target will have some expertise with his shield. There will be future
changes to Missile Fire, but I think that the basic rules are good as they
stand.