Experience

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Fri Oct 29 06:16:13 CEST 1999

At 09:54 PM 10/28/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello all, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster...

Howdy!

>The way I see it is that roleplaying itself is a reward, and using "fortune
>points" or some derivitive takes away from that.  Maybe a better reward
>would be giving them certain advantages because they roleplay.  A reward
>would then become finding a fence for a theif, or meeting a master of some
>arcane language for a scholar.  In terms of stats it does not give them
>anything, and it does not give them more luck, but instead adds more depth
>to their roleplaying.

I agree totally.  This is why I don't do points spending for save the
situation.
If you fall from a cliff you don't spend a point to suddenly find a tree in
mid
fall :)  No instead you HIT the ground.  But instead I allow them to spend
points after an adventure that can be done for things like you mentioned
below.
>Not to mention it can also enhance the story line when the players get in a
>jam and one of the characters says "let me talk to a friend of mine, he
>might be able to help us out".

Yes :)