Revision of the game

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Sun May 9 21:45:42 CEST 1999

>With all this talk of trying to (illegally) revise the game, I thought
>it might be valuable to hear a few testimonials and criticisms of it.
>If we have a good idea what we do and don't like, revising and (gasp)
>FIXING certain parts of the game would certainly go more smoothly.  I
>suspect most of us will be attracted to the same portions...

Yes organization is needed.

>Magic system:  This game has my favorite magic system (outside of Ars
>Magica).  It is one of the few that allows for truly amazing power.  I
>don't think there is anything here that I dislike.

I agree its the best in the fantasy systems I run.
Defiinition of the paths, apprentice programs might be more
elaborate (ie for backgrounds).  But otherwise overall good.

>Skills:  This is a hodgepodge.  There are not enough and they are
>poorly organized.  Throw out the "super" skills like forester and
>miner and replace them with something simpler.  Characters end up
>focusing around these every time.  Take a look at Harnmaster for an
>example of a really good skill system (Harn is also a skill based
>game.  They have organized the skills into professions, but they are
>not classes.  I'd like to see something similar in P&P).

I agree with these points.  More and maybe class or professional bonuses
should be given (not a class system per se) but like a warrior would have
some bonuses to combat skills.  But getting that to be not a class system
(like D&D ) would be hard.  :)
>Priests:  I'm not sure how many people actually play with Priests in
>P&P.  I find them interesting but too powerful for my tastes.  I
>prefer over the top mages and ineffectual clergy.

I've not had time to play them much as npcs much less pcs :)
So have no comment really though they have their purpose
in the game.

>Experience:  This is one of the aspects that really make this game
>stand out.  I love the fact that skills go up as you use them.  I like
>the way some of the characteristics go up with time, although I think
>I would limit this to physical characteristics and leave the others
>fixed.

But if you say solve a puzzle that is real hard you should be able to
increase a mental stat (int) because you learned a new decrypting or code
(for example) to solve that problem.

>Energy Level:  This is a strong concept that I haven't seen elsewhere.
> It seems to represent the soul or life force.

Yes.  Its mianly for lifeforce attacks like vampires and such.

>Combat:  Great but a little slow.  However, I'm not sure I would
>change anything to speed thing up either.

I would add new combat techniques like Martial Arts and the liek to the
system.  Horse Archery rules and all that are great but maybe some more
martial arts rules would be good.

>Creatures:  Not enough definition on each of the creatures or
>differentiation(sp?) between creatures.  The originality is wonderful.
> There are creatures you don't see in any other games, but the
>creature statistics just seem to be all the same to me.  I'd like to
>see different types of physical attacks from the monsters.

I could agree with this but that's why they have that 8 page or whatever it
is creature variation system just in cases like this :).

>Treasure: Wonderful
Yep.  I don't think this part needs to be even changed :)
The best treasure generation system I've seen so far.

>Special events: ditto.  Could be more though.

Yeah maybe more tables depending on say a magical generation path and
others...

>Character creation:  Bulky, but I'm not sure what to change.

The iniital increases section on the CPs and such tend to confuse alot of
new players....as to which to use either cps or the table..etc..

>Perilous Lands:  I would change nothing here.  This is my favorite of
>all fantasy worlds.  It is complex without too much detail.  Leaves
>lots of room to mess around.  I love Burton's cultural variation chart
>although I have changed and expanded it to my own taste (skills
>outside of combat, less of a range for cultural height).  Definitely
>could use more published adventures! (Can't see any hope here.)

Yes PL is #1.  I would do more adventures or sites though more than the
site book has for example.  I would give more leader info or language
aspects to the world.  Economic system could be a boost (coinage, etc.).

>Mostly what P&P needs is reorganization.  I have tried to do some of
>this myself in the past.  I'll try to get some of it on the list, but
>I have sporiadic access to my e-mail...  I have pages on experience,
>priests, magic, and a bit of Lands info.

WE could see any of it :)...love to...

>For your information:  I haven't been very vocal on this list, so I'll
>introduce myself.  I have 16 (that many?!) years experience playing
>RPGs.  I own far too many....  I've played quite a bit over the years
>with Paul Ming, also on this list.

Yeah I run about 26 systems this is my fav fantasy based and I have
hmmm..... 18 years experience with games..

>I hope that people disagree with some of the things I've said and we
>can get a dialogue going and try to keep this list busy!

Id o :)

>Tim Falkenberg.
Scott Adams

Add