Mana Sending/reading

Tobie Bonahoom bonahoom at INFO2000.NET
Mon Aug 23 08:14:50 CEST 1999

If some one uses the power too much, (i.e. Elf's or Fearry's always having
it on), I give them headaches (minus's to things that they do) or cause them
to see too much at once, blinding them. I will give general information
about what they see, at all times. The only time I give detail, is if it
matters to my campaign or if they ask good questions that relate to what
they are looking for (I know judgement call, but isn't that what we are the
GM's for?). Most of the time those that have ask if they see magic in
places, they get a little paranoid anymore :), but I have come up with some
new ways to "mask" the magic, so that they don't see it at times.

The "masking" is a way of disguising the magic to match the surroundings.
Lets say that you are having your NPC Chaos wiz. setting traps for the PC's
to stumble across, and he does not want them to find them all. He uses the
'ensorcellment' spell to cast a mask on an item, which then transfers the
magicalness of the trap to a different destination (where ever he places the
item). This causes the Sensing/Reading/Detection to not show that there is a
trap right in front of them, but maybe a couple of feet farther up. I only
let some of my NPC's have the ablility and I try to come up with unique ways
between them, that way the PC's don't catch on much at first, and the NPC's
show that they do not always share knowledge globally through telekinesis.

As for being able to tell between law vs. chaos, I only allow that if the
people are fanatical alignment. I figure that the fanatical gives them a
little bit of an edge to some things, but has some other hard pieces to
round it out. Example - I have two fanatical Law wizs. and I allow them to
see when something or someone is Chaos or another type of fanatic. What this
means is if they see a chaos being/item they must attack/destroy it
completely. They can not rest until it is gone, or they are dead. I have not
come up with everthing about fanatics yet, but a good being. As for others,
I do not allow them to know if some is a wizard with out some type of
magical interferance, i.e. Detection/Mana Reading.

Just some of my thoughts, and ideas.

White Wolf
(aka Tobie Bonahoom)
bonahoom at hotmail.com