Question about Dodging and stuff...

Longshot Longshot at FRINGE.DIGINC.XG.COM
Sun Oct 18 21:54:09 CEST 1998

*** Quoting Powers and Perils Fantasy Rolepl... from a message to Longshot ***

PaPF>     (First off-topic Q:  Does everyone on this list have an email
PaPF> client that handles HTML?  Or only plain text?  Mostly just curious
PaPF> is all).

     No.  My email goes to my BBS (bulletin board).  BUT I could if I had to
extract and view in a browser depending on the HTML :)

PaPF>     Now, the main question.

PaPF>     How many of you actually use the "Dodging" optional rules listed
PaPF> in Book 1, pg.15.  What about the "Dodging Magic" rule?  And, last
PaPF> but not least, how do you use it...exactly.  The way it looks (I've
PaPF> only used it a handfull of times...and a long time ago to boot), the
PaPF> 'defender' takes his DVand this is the number listed on the left side
PaPF> of the chart ("Dodge Value"). Then, you take the 'defenders' AV and
PaPF> add the 'attackers' DBand AB (i.e, their DV), and this is the number
PaPF> that you look at accross the top ("Total Value Dodged").  Cross
PaPF> referencing these numbers gives you a %'age or N or A chance to be
PaPF> successful in avoiding the attackers blow.  Is this how it is
PaPF> supposed to work?

     That is pretty much how it works without pulling out my books to compare
exactly (its late and I've only had a few hours sleep today ) :).
     I use the dodging system mainly on missile things more than melee though I
give it as a option.  Generally the parry/dodge/attack option.  But not both.
     As to dodging magic I don't think I've used it but three or so times in
the last decade :)  So very rare..

PaPF>     I'm asking this because I am trying to convert most AD&D system
PaPF> stuff over to P&P system stuff for a World of Greyhawk campaign.  If
PaPF> your curious, you can check it out at:
PaPF> http://members.xoom.com/Denakhan/ and just follow the link.  It is
PaPF> quit rough right now and doesn't have the slickest formatting (I just
PaPF> imported the .doc straight into FrontPage98 and made a few obvious
PaPF> changes), but I would really appreciate any input or
PaPF> suggestions...expecially in the realm of trying to find a way to
PaPF> convert AD&D spells into P&P spells without having to rewrite every
PaPF> one of them! *sigh*

     Well converting can't help much.  As I don't run AD&D prefer P&P by far.
I do play AD&D but don't run it.  sorry :)

~~~ Telegard v3.09.g2-sp3/mL