Variant Skill System

Choinski, Burt BChoinski at XSERV.BILLERICA-MA.PERITUS.COM
Tue Oct 21 16:01:06 CEST 1997

This list has been too damn quiet -- you'd think Nil had come through
and killed everyone. :)

In the next few days I'll be posting my skill tables that I use in my
game.  These tables are the same as in book 1 except that there are no
longer any "or 80" skills -- all skills have the same scale.

In my game I do not use percentile for skill resolution -- I use a
system borrowed from GDW's "2300ad" and "Megatraveller" systems.

Pros:
1) At EL0 you are minimally capable with this system.  In the old
system, multiplying EL by 20 for easy skills does not help much if you
have EL0.

2) Skill level follows a bell-curve, which better models (IMHO) skill
use.  If you are good enough to get on the "good" side of the curve you
will rarely fail, as you might expect.  Given a task that might
challenge an EL0 programmer, I certainly won't have THAT much of a
problem, and I'm nowhere near a master coder.

Cons:
1) The mechanic is different than Combat and Magic, which still use a
percentage system (I have been unable to work out a means to fit it in
yet and retain the feel).  This can be confusing for beginners.

2) Modifiers can not be as "fine" as you can get with a percentage
system.  Some people may call this a "pro", however.

As always, comments and questions welcome (send them to the list for
everyone :)
         -- Burton

Burton Choinski's "Target-12" system for Powers & Perils skill
resolution

Underlying Assumptions:
1) At EL0 you have basic familiarity and are minimally capable.
2) There is always a chance of failure or success
3) Skill-wise, at EL4 you are considered competently trained.  At EL6
you are considered highly
    skilled and at EL8 or more you are considered a master of your skill
(having an EL8 in anything
    implies you have at least a 40 in the characteristics used for the
maximum level formula, which is
    about x4 for the average person and x3 for those with more innate
ability).

----- Basic System
-----------------------------------
The system is called "Target-12" in reference to the core mechanic: On a
roll of 2d10+EL, a value of 12 or more must be made to succeed in a
skill task of "Average" difficulty.  Where a task is more or less
difficult the GM will use the following target numbers:
        Very Easy       6
        Easy            9
        Average         12
        Challenging     15
        Difficult               18
        Hard            21
        Very Hard       24
        Formidable      27
        Impossible      30

If the dice roll a 19 or 20 the task is considered to be successful no
matter the final value.  Likewise, any rolls of 2, 3 or 4 mean the task
fails.

----- Option A: Lessened Failure/Improved Success
If a skill is at EL5 or more the automatic failure happens only on a
roll of 2 or 3.  If a skill is EL4 or less the automatic success happens
only on a roll of 20.

----- Option B: Specials and Botches
-----------
Any roll of doubles is considered a "special success" if the task
succeeds and a "botch" (or fumble) if it fails.  In the case of "double
10's" (a roll of 20), it is only considered a special success at EL5 or
more (see Option A above) and a normal success otherwise.

----- Option C: Helping Skills
-----------------------
In some cases, where the GM allows it, a player may draw upon one other
skill to aid in a particularly difficult task with another skill.

For example, a character is attempting to use Deftness to pick a pocket.
In order to improve his chances, he decides to distract the target with
a bit of Acting.  EL in Actor is the helping skill

The character must make at least an Average task in the helping skill
for a +1 bonus to his main skill.  He may opt to go for more difficult
tasks in order to get a better bonus.  Thus, he may decide to go for a
Hard task with his helping skill in order to get a +3 with his main
skill task.

Any failure with the helping task applies a NEGATIVE modifier to the
main skill equal to 1/2 the bonus you were going for, rounded down.
(thus, a failure with a Hard helping task gives them a -1 on their main
task roll).  A Botch (see Option B) with the helping skill applies a
negative modifier equal to the bonus you were going for (thus, a botched
Hard helping skill gives a -3 to the main skill roll).

Helper skills always increase the basic time of the basic task, at least
DOUBLING it and perhaps longer.

----- Option D: Competition
-------------------------
When skill is used vs. skill (i.e. Tracking vs. Tracking, Merchant vs.
Merchant when haggling, etc)
the person initiating the competition may take a negative modifier to
his task, thus making it more difficult. The other side must take this
same modifier.

When comparing results of a competition, the "Winner" is determined in
the following order:
     a) Whoever succeeded
     b) Whoever succeeded with a better level (or failed better).
Special beats normal success, Failure
         beats a Botch.
     c) Whoever has the HIGHEST die roll (not adding EL)
     d) Whoever has the HIGHEST EL.

----- Option E: Default Skill Use
--------------------
If a task requires a skill a character does not have they may attempt to
use the skill anyway, at their peril.  Determine the character's initial
level in the skill using the LOWEST current attribute in the maximum
level formula and subtract 1 for every 10 points of Initial cost not
paid (i.e. a skill with an initial cost of 27 applies a -3 to the
initial level).  In these cases there is no automatic chance of success
and a die roll of 5 is considered an automatic failure.

----- Option F: Experience
------------------------
Successful use of a skill will provide 1d6 expertise points toward the
skill if the task is a normal usage of the skill.  If the GM feels the
skill was used in an unusual way (or in a manner outside of the "common"
tasks for the skill) another 1d6 may be awarded.  In addition,
performing a non-combat task in a combat or stressful situation (i.e.
picking a lock while you party protects your back from sword blows!)
another 1d6 is allowed.

Likewise, if a skill is used where there is no chance of failure, or
where failure has no consequences, reduce the award by 1d6.

If a helper skill was involved (and successfully used) the expertise
gain is split evenly over both skills.

----- Option G: Unsure Tasks
In some cases the GM may wish to retain some player uncertainty in order
to better reflect the character uncertainty.  In this case, the Gm and
the player both roll one die (the GM keeping his secret).

Burton Choinski, Peritus Software Services Inc.
bchoinski at peritus.com