P&P v2 [Was: Re: Idea bounce]

Larry D. Hols crkdface at PCPARTNER.NET
Tue Nov 25 19:36:30 CET 1997

Hallo,

>        I have no problem with all that.  I'm talking about the money
>        schemes.  Some games (nameless) will just do XYZ supplement
>        like "Beer: Everything you want to know about Beer for the game"
>        JUST to make the money.  And many fall for it.  Its fine to give
>        the core rules in one box (ONLY one) and don't sell say Book 1
>        as one hardbound book.  Another as another, etc.  Building up
>        the prices.  Add brief info say Sea Info (ship info) into the
>        core rules (basic ship info nothing more) then come out iwth
>        a supplement on Sea Tech (complete layouts, deck plans) for
>        advanced use and players.  That type of thing is fine.  But
>        the silly XYZ supplements and money schemes get me :)

        Oh, you mean TSR's line of "Complete..." books, such as the
"Complete Buckle Handbook", which details how to fasten, polish, and swash
all sorts of buckles?  Well, to this point I have no indication that AH is
interested in this sort of marketing.  The list of supplements I submitted
included things such as a book expanding the magic rules, one for detailing
priesthoods, etc.  All of the basic rules are in the core rules and
expansions such as this look at sorcerers and priests in greater detail for
those who want to feature them in play.
        I recommended releasing the core rules as both loose books, so
players can get just what they want or need, and in a boxed set with a
bonus GM screen or such thrown in.  This gets GMs everything together and
allows players to just get player material.  I recommended the books be
softcover, simply to keep the price down.  I, personally, would want the
books in a 3-ring binder as "Harnmaster" and ASL do, but we'd have to sell
a ton rules to justify a deluxe format.  Ah, well, I can dream.

Larry