P&P v2 [Was: Re: Idea bounce]

Wout Broere w.broere at CT.TUDELFT.NL
Mon Nov 17 10:44:52 CET 1997

>> That wasn't me.  It was Scott (I think), but I asked about it.
Mea culpa ( there will be more of those the next few minutes, I erred a lot
last week.)

>> always very
>> Actually, the language skill was a 0-100% like all other skills and
>> was increased normally.  However,
>> having a skill of 0-20% counted as the "ugh!" range of skill.
>> Technically, someone with a 20% is more articulate than one with a 1%
>> -- that table was mostly for a rough guide.  In general, when
>> communication is attempted ADD the two skills together  (limited to
>> DOUBLING the lower skill) to find the chance of successful
>> communication.  Thus, someone with a 20% skill has a 40% chance of
>> getting the point across with a native of the language, but with
>> someone of skill 10% the chance is only 30%.

Somewhere at the back of my head I knew this, not entirely sure, but it
wasthe reason for the "probably not the best example" phrase at the
beginning. Your right that is not so much the skill system as the table
giving the language profiency examples.
That table is fun.

>> Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen.  As much as I like the
>> system, there enough flaws, quirks and oddities (much as we love them)
>> that will turn off new players (which is what we want).  AH is not
>> likely to roll the presses for us alone -- they need the new blood to
>> ensure a cash flow to fund more stuff, in a never ending flow until
>> all other systems are crushed :)

A man may hope and pray to the gods of Chaos may he not, that AH lets the
presses roll again :) I don't see the need to change the game mechanics a
lot, just the need to restyle the game and then remarket it. Lets see if it
finds its place in the market. For that it will at least need to stand out
from the other systems available, so I am not too sure if 'catering to
wishes of the masses' is the best approach available, if that is interpreted
as devising a game like the other systems that have appeared recently.
NO, this is not intended to imply that P&P v2 is the same as systems that
have appeared in recent years, it only seems to me that the discussion is
sometimes headed this way: Should we try to market a not completely sound
game mechanics with its extremely well detailed background or should we
create a new set of game mechanics and rework the background to fit the new
mechanics. In this case that is a question for AH to answer, it is just that
I know what I like to see. For me a reprinting of the books would almost do.
But it is true that I am no more than a niche market.

Ft