Stuff

Scott Adams longshot at JAX.FIDONET.ORG
Fri Nov 14 22:42:45 CET 1997

*** Quoting scott.cohan at SSA.GOV from a message to longshot ***

sc>   Well, had a successful game last night.  The party managed to fight
sc> off three   Athachs with only one member getting near death (An
sc> Athach bit his head).

     Where you playing at your town which is?
     I've never played with Athachs yet.  But my group online is battilng an
ALAL (sorta).  He is riding toward them.  7 vs an alal should be equal right?
:)  A new player and the wizard should be able to handle it hopefully or
otherwise some damage might ensue (G)

sc> characters.  I   have a good character from a previous game that I
sc> think I could write up   (although I'd collaborate with the player).
sc> Would people like to see this?

     That would be interesting to see sample characters..you could give them
here if you want.

sc>   Also:  What is the tech of the Perilous Lands?  We have Plate
sc> Armor, which is   Late Medieval, we have no gunpowder, and
sc> shipbuilding skills seemed to have   stagnated in the trireme stage.
sc> Now, I'm no expert, but it seems to be that   it's a little
sc> unbalanced.  Does anyone out there have any good information on
sc> pre-gunpowder ships?  Besides triremes and dhows (a unireme), what
sc> else should   be around?  Old Roman cargo vessels?  It's definitely
sc> too early for sloops,   flytes, and galleons.      As far as
sc> apologistic arguments, I suppose we could assume that Armor tech
sc> has been prematurely advanced through the magical necessity to have
sc> totally   enclosed suits of armor.  Likewise, perhaps true sailing
sc> ships haven't been   developed because of the vast number of Climan
sc> Priestesses with Sea Powers   (Friendly Current).

     That's how the real world was to an extent.  Some areas were still brozne
age and some still had iron and such.  So its sorta ok to me.  I basically have
the ships viking style.  No gunpowder and maybe only catapult type weapons.
That's one way to look at the ship situation.

sc> be desired, like what sort of   ships are commonly used, perhaps some
sc> tactics of naval warfare, how far away   you can spot that Climan
sc> excise vessel and how tolose them, that sort of   thing.  Questions,
sc> comments, suggestions?

I would like to see that as well.  You have any ship info like size, crew size,
arms?  I got sent the article on sea stuff in the hero magazine and typed it up
but its lacking in ship info.

~~~ Telegard v3.08.b12/mL