pnp v2

Scott Adams longshot at JAX.FIDONET.ORG
Fri Nov 14 22:42:10 CET 1997

From:         Wout Broere <w.broere at CT.TUDELFT.NL>
Subject:      P&P v2 [Was: Re: Idea bounce]

>1) the percentile scale attributes and skills, allowing a great
>differentiation in characters
        My big plus for it as well...

>2) the flexibility (lack of rules) allowing for example a fighter-magic user
>who can develop to a master in both fields over time
        Yes compared to other systems which limit the development.
        In pnp which I like you can make virtually anything you set
        out to do  - character wise.

>3) the randomness in the character generation process
        Always a good thing except for the abuse of the 'good' dice rolls :)

>You can understand from this that I am not one of the greatest fans of this
>proposal when it is dubbed P&P v2. They are a nice set of rules, I don't
>mean that, but in my opinion they are the rules for a completely different
>game than the ultra-flexible P&P v1.
        I agree with this as well.  If you change the system even
        renaming say faerry to something else the entire genre of
        the game flys out the window.  Then its just another FRPG game
        out there.  I think you should stick with tthe basic outline
        that works in v1.

>Now with P&P v2 I can create the same character over and over again, what is
>there to stop me from doing this? Now this can be a good thing, but as said
>it is the randomness in P&P v1 I like. To get to the point:
        That's the problem with Super Hero systems like Marvel and
        Fantasy hero that use the similar system.

>IMO the special events are not things to be chosen, but events the character
>and the player have no control over. That would suggest a random choice, id
>est a die roll.
        Yeah chooing to be royalty or a felon?  Who in their right
        mind would choose to have a felony on their character.  :)

~~~ Telegard v3.08.b12/mL