What I would LIKE to see in a new P&P.

Denakhan pming at KLONDIKE.COM
Fri Nov 14 03:59:17 CET 1997

Hi all.
    Earlier on I 'ranted' on about what the P&P2 is looking like....I still
haven't seen it, but I really would like to.  I filled out all 50 questions
on that nutty questionnaire (took me hours, too!  :).  So, Larry, if you are
reading this and I didn't completely alienate myself from you, I would love
to be a playtester.  Lots of experience and all that too.

Ahem.  Now, onto what I would like to see.

OK.
     As I said early this morning, I put my ka-hoonays on the table with
that last post about what I _didn't_ want to see in a new version of P&P.
That post wasn't meant to be a 'flame' in any way, just a blunt opinion.  :)
     Now for the stuff that I think should be in a new P&P edition.
     First, I must sigh with Burt, "Where do I begin?".  As a game can never
be 'perfect' or have everything everybody would want, I would say that there
are some basics.

---Water stuff.
 More aquatic monsters and rules for handling them.  Also, water craft.  I
personally use ICE's "Sea Law" as a base, and mostly for info and ideas on
how to handle it in P&P. Don't forget prices and rules on building boats.

---'Big Stuff' to buy.
 Basically, prices and listings for building houses, mansions, towers and
even castles.  It doesn't have to be all-encompassing, just a chapter or so
(I figure about 20 pages would be more than enough).  The 1st edition AD&D
Dungeon Masters Guide had enough to use.  A more elaborate supplement
detailing the 'big stuff' for later.  (building boats could be in this
section too...)

---More skills.
 Not many (P&P has a good selection right now), but all of the skills from
the 'Heroes' mag's would be great.

---Optional Hit Locations.
 The P&P system seems to beg for some kind of hit location determination.  I
am NOT saying 'critical charts. All I would like to see is maybe an optional
hit location for various types of creatures with a few words on possible
effects of getting hit there.

---Little bit more variety in the weapon damages or special good/bad things
of certain ones (like 2-handed weapons).

Hmmm. I think thats it for core rules.  For supplements I would like to see
one on the workings of magic with lots of cool, mature stuff (look at
Mayfair Games "Arch-Magics"), one on the upper and lower worlds (again, look
at Mayfair Games' stuff ...Demons, Sentinels, To Hell and Back, etc...), one
detailing religions/deities for the game (with some GM info/hints/etc on
world building tossed in for good measure).  Oh, and maybe one detailing the
'underworld' organizations.....thieves, assassins, bounty hunters, etc.  Oh
yeah, one more supplement that P&P could REALLY use would be a set about
mass warfare.

     I think that is about it.  Mostly anyway.