Various things

Scott Cohan scott.cohan at SSA.GOV
Thu Nov 13 16:36:50 CET 1997

  Yes, I'm the one who did (and is still working on) the HERO Conversion.  Burt,
  if you're still interested, I'd love to compare notes, etc.

  I was really attracted to the Learn by Using feel of OP&P, but it also had
  it's drawbacks.
  1) Incredible amounts of bookkeeping (which the GM ends up doing for everyone,
  because he's most familiar with the rules)
  2) On one of the few occasions where I got to run a character, my Dwarven
  Rune-master practiced his magical skills daily by enchanting his equipment.
  (Bags of carrying, waterskins of carrying, etc.)  Eventually, you can become
  quite, quite good at Permanent Magics with only the occassional mistake.
  Admittedly, this is Rules Raping, and I'd never do it now, as I'm a much
  better role-player (got thrown out of my college AD&D game for role-playing
  adequately), but it still should be addressed.

  See, I feel that you learn more by being challenged.  I will reach a plateau
  casting the same spell on the same item in the same conditions.  You should
  get more expertise for casting spells under stressful conditions (Oh, I can
  shortcut those two gestures, saving me some time; or My God!  I'll never
  misprounounce Misrok Neth'rab as Misrok Nith'rab again!)

  Then again, this is a piddly point, and to accurately simulate the learning
  process would require even more bookkeeping.  Although, if bookkeeping isn't a
  problem, something I'd like to see is Forgetting skills.  If you haven't used
  a skill in some time, it should degrade.  (Possibly to half your previous
  level, can be bought back for one-third the cost or somesuch).  Let's face it,
  my Latin is pretty rusty, although I can whip it back into shape for short
  periods of time.  I'm sure we all have similar stories.

  Well, don't mean to rant too much,

          Scott Cohan