Items to bounce around

Scott Adams longshot at JAX.FIDONET.ORG
Thu Dec 18 21:37:52 CET 1997

*** Quoting w.broere at CT.TUDELFT.NL from a message to longshot ***

w.> The rules state a limit of (El+1)*10 mana to store in an amulet, and a
w.> regeneration rate of El+1 mana per day.

Yeah I meant other than the basic stuff :).  Then you get some silly wizard
wearing 10 or so amulets like this because he isn't powerful enough to store
much (10 mana per).  He'd look funny but I can see some player doing it..

w.> Not in this campaign, as it is one session short of being ended, no ma
w.> what. Possibility one: we find some spear in time and the world is sav
w.> the end of the next session, end of campaign and we start a new one wi
w.> ne characters, or possibility two: we fail and the world is destroyed,
w.> start a new campaign with new characters.
w.> So yes we do know that a mass combat will not come in this campaign an

I thought you were the GM?  It must be nice to ACTUALLY play..sigh..I'd love to
play :<.   Spear in time huh...Why not destroy the world and have a rebuild
campaign that always works.  The game now I'm doing is more a regional threat
than world threat but it could be if it succeeds.

w.> Mass combat in our rule is not 30 vs 30. We have done that with normal
w.> combat rules. OK it was 30 vs. 8 and they were only 30 bandits. We wer
w.> mean fighters/magic users and so on. The first phase of the ambush was
w.> of a problem, but we won in the end.

Normal rules huh?  Yeah I would tend to just do a program for that
thing..rolling all that dice gets hard.  Then were playing ChartMaster (errr
RoleMaster in that case).  Really?  Bandits are typical starting combats for
new players.  I had trouble with 12 vs 9!  They won but took some damage..:)

w.> Mass combat has been hundreds versus hundreds. That's what you get whe
w.> several thousand mean barbarians invade the civilised world. The probl
w.> not so much how to handle the cannon fodder, it is how to incorporate
w.> characters and major NPCs into the battle. There you have to find a ba
w.> between individual combat scores and mass combat scores. Or how to cha
w.> the p&p scores into the mass battle system scores and keep the NPCs/PC
w.> from the "one hit = sudden death"-problem, incorpaorated in most mass
w.> systems.

Yes.  And with experience and post-action....lots of paper or computer files :)
I think the biggest I had aside from a sci-fi ship fleet (bigger) was about
27,500 vs 68,000 in one Hawkmoon game.

~~~ Telegard v3.09.g1/mL