Ship and Sailing in Perilous Lands

Charlie Remis & Margaret Lasater cremis at MYRIAD.NET
Mon Dec 15 19:20:56 CET 1997

Scott Cohan & others wrote:

> >I found the map on page 36 of the Site Book. It blows everything I know out
> >the door because it has 3 or 4 legs of the journey on "the way east" that
> >are over 400 miles without re-supplying. One Leg even looks like it is 1200
> >miles!!!!
>
>   Yet another good argument for updating the naval tech.  I find that caravels
>   work well as the apex of naval development, seeing that if Columbus could make
>   it from Portugal to the Dominican Republic in one, it should suffice for these
>   long naval voyages.  Then again, after a couple of years, the Lemasans might
>   have invested in a carrack or two, but that should be the 'top of the line'.

    Triremes (or some other fast, oared, vessel) are going to be the primary
_warship_ until gunpowder or the equivalent comes along.  (Historically rowed war
vessels were used in the Mediterranean until the 16th century).  This does not mean
that they will be the primary vessel of commerce, or the only ship type available.
I have the Fomorians (as the princes of the seas) use Junks as their primary trade
vessels, while everyone else uses either oared vessels in the Sea of Tears or Cogs
for deep water sailing.  While Cogs or Junks are largely helpless vs oared war
vessels, they can avoid them by sticking to deep water out of sight of land.  (This
does require more advanced navigation, but Junks have been used in this manner since
before 219 BC so I decided that the technology wasn't unreasonable).  For deep water
piracy or war, I use longships, which can brave the deeps necessary to find rich
mercantile prey (but which are ineffective vs triremes).  The thing to bear in mind
is that Triremes and Galleys (not galleas or galleons) span approximately 1500 years
of history, and that they were never the only type of vessel in use.

The chinese Junk is both older and more seaworthy than a caravel, and has been in
use from before 219 BC to the present.  Junks have balanced rudders (which make them
easier to maneuver), battened sails (which make them more efficient in using the
wind), and watertight compartments (which make them more seaworthy, and more capable
of deep water ventures).

The Cog dates from medieval times and is quite seaworthy, although it is neither as
comfortable nor as seaworthy as a Junk.  Cogs were clinker built (which made them
more flexible and capable of riding the waves), had stern rudders (which allowed
them to make better use of the wind), and fore and aft castles (which were used as
fortifications for troops or archers).  Cogs are worse sailing and cargo ships than
Junks, but better fighting ships.

Longships date from the eighth to tenth century, and surprisingly, were also quite
seaworthy (they have been used to cross the Atlantic, although they are not as
comfortable as a cog, they may actually be more seaworthy).  Longships were clinker
built (which allowed them to ride waves rather than be swamped by them, longships
were low to the water) and riveted (which gave them greater structural strength).
The used both oar and sail.

There are lots of books on the history of sea vessels, it might be worth your time
to look over some and then make your decisions as to what you want to do in your
campaign.

Charlie