Naval Ships and Tech discussion (LONG)

Scott Cohan scott.cohan at SSA.GOV
Fri Dec 12 21:23:09 CET 1997

Without getting personal (and therefore starting a flame war), let me just say
that, IMO, I've always found these arguments to be sloppy.  Once you just pass
off one thing as "The Gods willed it", then you can justify anything.  And let's
say that the Climan gods are so pleased with the Climans for their sacrifices
that they reward the Climans with extra nautical speed.  What about the other
nations?  If every other country's gods don't give out goodies like the Climan
gods, then you would think that everyone around them would convert.  Remember,
religion works on a "Do ut Des" methodology.
     Let's face it, if we had demonstrable proof that one religion was correct
and that it's worshippers were being rewarded and people with other religions
were getting squat, I would think that there would be a lot of converts.
"Become a worshipper of Baal and receive financial success" would attract a lot
of people.
     Then, if we attribute the Climan's nautical superiority to the gods, what
have the other nations received?
     Also, I'm not sure of this, because I don't have my books right here in
front of me, but I thought that the gods could _not_ intervene on the Middle
World and that Slidranth could solely because he has an avatar down here.
     Let's face it, if all the gods were interfering all the time, we'd get
something like the Greek myths, only more messy.  The Greeks even had a story
about the consequences of too many gods interfering.  There was a dog who was
given the gift to always catch his prey.  Unfortunately, one day he went after a
deer which had been given the gift that it would outrun any hunter.  Solution:
The gods froze them in time, so that the paradox would never have to be
resolved.

Scott Cohan